View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
freewheeling
Zealot
freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freewheeling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, Lenovo IdeaPad, Kindle PaperWhite
Just got a new Paperwhite

I've had a Kindle 2 for a long time and after I spilled soup on it I even went through about $50 buying new parts and hacking it so that I could keep it registered. But I stopped using the protective cover because it kept making the Kindle reboot whenever I picked it up. Tried using nail polish and other stuff on the slots and taped over connections on the inside, but nothing worked. So when I knocked it off a shelf it had no protection and fell right on it's little head and its eyes crossed and it went permanently catatonic and brain dead.

So I bought a PW and a cheap cover by Fintie. Seems to work, although I don't know how you navigate except with collections only one level deep, but that was a problem with the K2 as well. And I had to quit using MoonReader+ on my Android tablet because the PW doesn't use my drop box as a cloud. Maybe there'll be a hack for that, eventually.

The back light or whatever it is does seem a bit "cloudy" or "shadowy" if I'm reading in the dark, but there's probably a setting for that. The other thing I'd like to do is to keep it from going to sleep after 30 seconds away. Can't find that in the settings page.

I got the cheapest Fintie I could get, just $10, on the theory that these devices only last a couple of years anyway so spending an arm and a leg on fine leather is a waste. If they kept the size and physical slotting a standard I could see spending money on a nice one, but they're not gonna do that.
freewheeling is offline   Reply With Quote