View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcheart View Post
I am a newbie to e-book readers, although I am an avid reader. I finally have gotten fed up of packing 10 books or more for any trip I go on, only to wish I had more books to read or a different genre that I was feeling more like reading at the moment.

I have an upcoming three week trip in September, for which I really wanted to buy a reader, but then it seems like in October there may be new readers coming out. I am the type of person that hates buying something only to have a version that no one will offer support for anymore because they came out with a new and better version.

Which means I am torn. Do people think the updates are going to be substantial enough to warrant waiting?

I also am not sure whether a Kindle, Sony, or Cybook would be better for me. Do kindles not accept pdf files at all? A lot of articles and documents I need to read for school and work are pdf files, articles and such, and I would love to be able to read those. I also care about battery time and space, because on many of my hiking trips I will be without electricity for a number of days. The Kindle also seems more expensive, which is hard for me because I am a student and really don't have that much extra cash floating around.

Also, last question I promise - where would be the best place to buy ebooks from?

Any help would be appreciated!

Tiffany
I toyed with some of the same questions before I made the plunge. In my case, the 30 return policy of Amazon made it easier.

Since I have the Kindle, I can only speak from that voice. Don't wait. As RWood mentioned, upcoming devices will probably tweak the technology, not reinvent it this time around. You will so love having all the books at your finger tips, it's worth the risk.

Kindle does do PDF. You have several options. Install Mobipocket Creator (free software) on your PC and convert yourself; email the PDF to Amazon and they will convert. While the conversions vary in quality, with occasionally ungainly spacing, the text is usually very readable. Tables, pictures or symbols, pose other problems, but I don't know how much of that is remains unsolved in other readers.

I find my Kindle easier on the eyes than p-books. Especially if the light is bad or when I'm tired, I just bump the type up a size.

The battery life on the Kindle is great if you leave the Whispernet off. Mine easily goes 3-4 days without recharge with a lot of reading, and 5 days with part-time reading.

Because of the Whispernet, you can email things to your Kindle which makes it effortless to load things on it, and if you have purchased magazine or newspaper subscriptions are uploaded whenever you have Whispernet on.

With a few tips/tricks from this site, you can read ebooks from your public library on both Sony and Kindle. Additionally, both this site and feedbooks offer hundreds of older books, all free just for the downloading.

Ebook readers rock!
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote