View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, KT, PB701/IQ, K2, PB360, BeBook One, Axim51v, TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I would not use the term "prologue" in a TOC for an epigraph; it's not the same thing. Nor would I go with "preface" or really any of the others for the same reason.

In my opinion, it's an epigraph, so if you're going to have it labelled in a TOC, that's the appropriate word to use.
Uh-huh.
In fiction an epigraph is usually a fragment that sets the tone/scene for what is to follow, whereas a Prologue is a self-contained scene that precedes the narrative.
In every book I've seen Prologue and Epilogue go into the TOC but epigraphs don't.
Probably why the term isn't in common usage.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote