View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #11510
Hamlet53
Sister Carrie
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I had a problem with a line freezing in an apartment. I would have to use a hair dryer to thaw out the line. As far as I know it never sprung a leak. The only way I could keep it from happening was to run the water very slightly, think a dripping tap, to keep the water flowing/moving through the line on really cold nights. I cannot remember if it was the hot water or cold water line.

Good luck. I hope it works out okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
What red said:
1. Use a hair dryer carefully - NOT a small acetylene torch. Many people accidentally set their houses on fire that way.
2. Let water drip all night when the temps dip - hot water lines freeze faster than cold lines [someone will probably explain the physics of this] - the water bill is a small price to pay for hot water.
3. Insulate the line in the crawl space - foam pipe wrap is fairly cheap.
Thanks to you both. Last night I went crawling in my crawl space with a flash light and a borrowed electric hand hair dryer and solved the problem. This is the first time in all the years that I have had the problem. I think it was a combination of the days of very cold temperatures combined with almost no snow on the ground. Snow around the foundation seems to act as a decent layer of insulation.
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote