Originally Posted by speakingtohe
It gets a little weirder I am afraid.
Yesterday I went to page one of the book I was reading to see if the cover would come back. 2 sleep modes later it did.
Today I sent the book I was reading (in debug mode) several times and it still said Im_reading and it was the only one that said Im_reading in device view. So I sent all of the books that were on a week ago (686). Suddenly all of the Im_reading books were back. The cover was gone and the square face was back as well.
I opened the book I was reading and the correct cover appeared in sleep mode. I switched back and forthe between 3 books and correct cover came up every time. It was like a miracle.
Apart from the reading status suddenly coming back, that sounds OK. Sort of. Based on some experiments yesterday, the sleep cover bug seems happen if you open a new book and the device goes to sleep without returning to the home screen. In this case, the cover of the last opened but unfinished book will be used. If there isn't a book that fits that (all finished or all unread) the square face is used. If after opening a new book, you go back to the home screen and reopen the book, the correct cover will be used when sleeping.
There is occasionally something else happening. Occasionally, the wrong cover gets attached to a book as the sleep cover and nothing seems to fix it.
I have 26 pges or approximately 130 shelves. Two shelves had a lot of books. I had made a shelf called All which had all (653) books, so I could sort by recently read. Worked occasionally, but often I had to resort 5-6 times for it to do so.
I removed this shelf and the time to open shelf menu went down to about 25 seconds. I removed the next largest shelf (483) based on a genre column, mystery. The time to open a shelf is now about 13 seconds. Seems excessive still, but much better. I have larger collections and a lot more shelves on other readers and they don't seem to have any problem. Oh well.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the shelf thing It was like the proverbial lightbulb.
My Mini seems to be much better now. The only things different were running calibre in debug mode and deleting the largest shelf. (The second largest I deleted after the covers were working.)
That's good. I agree that 13 seconds is a long time. Rendering those 26 pages will take some time, but I think it should be quicker than that. And the fact the big shelves add so much time is also wrong as well.
Don't worry about the size of the log. The important thing is it shows what is happening. And it does show an error. This shouldn't cause the loss of the reading status, but I'll have a look at it.
And I do have a couple of comments from the debug log. Near the top is:
DEBUG: 0.0 [u'#genre,#allbooks,series,Im_Reading, Read, Closed, Shortlist', True, True, False, False, True, False, False, False, False, False, u'']
That is a list of the options you are using for the driver. There are two problems with it:
- '#genre,#allbooks,series,Im_Reading, Read, Closed, Shortlist' is the list of columns to use when creating shelves on the device. The names with the "#" in front of them are custom columns that you added. The names without the "#" are standard columns in calibre. None of "Im_Reading, Read, Closed, Shortlist" exist as columns in calibre. If you created custom columns with those names, add the "#" to the names. As they are, they don't do anything.
- The "True" and "False" are for the check boxes. The third "True" is for "Always upload covers". But, this only does something if "Upload covers for books" is also checked. I have meant to change this, but have not gotten around to it.
Also, when looking at the logs, I get a view on what people are reading. And sometimes a scare. While I was quickly scrolling through your log, "Bay City" flashed past. My brain added "Rollers". All that tartan, very scary