View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ShuBook upgrading vs. ShuBook SE? Avoid this mistake!

Faced with a decision between an in-app purchase to upgrade the free ShuBook (i.e. adding Package A) vs. buying ShuBook SE, I made a big mistake!

ShuBook has a notice about upgrading that explains well what can happen with in-app purchases and having to restore prior purchases, including on different devices. It explains that this can be a two-step process and that sometimes the Package A upgrade will have to be restored.

Reading that, and not wanting to go through something so convoluted in the future, I decided to buy ShuBook SE instead. A BIG MISTAKE!

1) Unlike ShuBook, which has never crashed, ShuBook SE crashed multiple times. (It now seems stable, after several forced quits from the background tab bar and tweaking settings.)

2) ShuBook SE does NOT know what your settings were in ShuBook, so you have to laboriously go through and change each item to get back to where you were. (While this is a nuisance, sometimes this is helpful as you discover settings you had overlooked before-- or tweaked other ones into a better condition.)

3) Your library begins EMPTY! And there is no way of moving your books from ShuBook to ShuBook SE. (Package A, the upgrade, is required to give the free SB export abilities.) I hope I am wrong about this--and that someone has a trick to move my books over to SB SE.

4) What you lose by that is all the books you've been reading-- and all the bookmarks! I repeatedly bookmark passages and old words or unknown words that I want to look up later. (Of course, by leaving the free ShuBook on my device, I have access to them, but I'd like to pare this down to just one ShuBook app on my iPhone and have my library, with bookmarks in it.)

In any event, my advice is to do an in-app upgrade and not go the SE route.

Anyone else gone down this path--or discovered that there are indeed problems with the in-app upgrade?

Anyone know how to export or transfer ShuBook library ebooks over to ShuBook SE (along with bookmarks!)?
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote