View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #33
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
By the way guys - I realise I am dropping in out of the blue and appearing to be critical. That is not my intention. I have been taking part in eBook discussions elsewhere, and sometimes here, for a few years and care about this subject. I apologise if I give the impression of being a newb smartarse
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I agree the concept of basic and advance views has merit, exactly how is not so easy.
I agre - hence a discusion is a great idea ... don't you think ?
Quote:
DRM stripping is not a feature of the calibre program and will not be added to the main program. So this point is out from the start.
I realise that the US is a very restrictive environment for this and therefore this is probably blocked. But there must be another way of facilitating it to be easy to add, in a simpler way that at present.

Quote:
The idea Format Conversion (device driven and not technical nerdy file format name driven) is a good one but this may need to be nerdy file format name driven rather than device driven. As an example half of the Kindle formats do not work with half of the kindle devices. Although if you wanted to maintain the separate database/table required to match up the hundreds of devices out there with the various formats that they can handle or have the option to handle I'm sure patches would be accepted.
Each device must have a 'best' format. So Calibre could be made to use this format for that device. Advanced mode could allow that to be changed. In the basic mode, if the default mode is for some reason not suitable is could be made to alert that it is changing to the second choice.
The Kindle Touch can use any of how many ? .. 5 different formats (just guessing) that doesn't mean each is equally desirable or suitable.
Quote:
Calibre works as most other standard book managers and places the books by default (for Windows) under My Documents in a library. Kindle, Adobe Digital Editions, Sony etc... do the same. From there it is up to user and local OS tools to perform a backup.
I'm guessing you are a Windows user. Isn't it possible for Calibre to ask during installation if the user wants to use a different location ? Your leaving it to the user to go to advanced function to make a change is not what I would call user friendly. When I was a windows user some years ago I rarely backed up My Docs, Because it is a mess of a place. I had a folder called "My Name" where I endeavoured to have everything important to me - documents, music, libraries, etc)

Quote:
Always room for improvement (ordinary English), specifics though are not as easy.
Does everything worthwhile have to be easy ?

Quote:
Books on a device can change independent of calibre, but a more automated way of creating a column tracking a particular device might be of benefit. I also believe the Reading list Plugin may accomplish this.
The mere plugging in of a device should offer immediate data about what is on that device. A user would, imho, understand that what is listed for each device is what was on it the last time it was connected to Calibre, and this could be noted on that screen anyway.

Quote:
A small portion of it is drag and drop now, like Send to Device. If you suggest specific items that can be added and provide benefit they may be able to be added. As you can tell most of the features have been added via user request or developer interest.
For a start ... In a simpler basic user GUI, I would see a large icon of each device in the left column or across the top where items from the listing could be dragged to. I would see clicking on each device producing a listing of items on that device. I would see the moving of an item from one device to another being achieved by a drag and drop, with the final execution being completed when that device is attached.

Quote:
Maybe specific feature request might help the conversation.
I agree. However a conversation has to be started and minds opened before that stage is gotten to, yes ? Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote