View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #32
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505, Nook Color(CM7), iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I suspect other comparable companies avoid tax to a similar degree. I know Starbucks avoid paying a lot of tax. IIRC, they've paid no tax in the UK in the past 10 or so years because their UK operation has always made a loss. They do declare profit, and pay tax, elsewhere (Switzerland I think).
The UK operation makes a "loss" because they transfer all the money to the Netherlands as royalty payments for use of the Starbucks brand. They also buy all their coffee from related companies in other geographies at inflated prices. They have created a loss in order to avoid paying taxes.