Originally Posted by david_e
If Kobo was the source of all these problems then we would all be experiencing them.
Actually, quite a few bugs that are reproducible once you know what conditions are required to trigger them. Take the issue where the Kobo ereader does not return to the correct page for a bookmark or from sleep mode. Turned out that you need to set non-zero margins before this will happen. Simple fix for now is to move the margin slider all the way to the left. Other oddities such as getting flyspeck sized body text though the page numbers stayed normal size when starting a new chapter did not appear to be affecting that many people. That one I did not find the exact conditions to reproduce and seems to have gone away with Glo firmware 2.3.2.
The first bug I noticed with a Kobo ereader was having an ' in the file name triggering a DRM violation -- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
from Gutenberg triggered that one.
For the most part, I don't make much use of Calibre other than basic conversion to epub for books I own in other formats. After the conversion, I use Sigil to clean up the formatting and do basic error checking/validation with epubcheck to do a final check. For the most part, Calibre does a pretty decent job of the conversion. I've seen far worse epubs from companies that actually had me pay for the product including such lovelies as an epub that had the entire book in a single file, was missing the toc.ncx file and formatting codes that looked like a straight export in HTML from Microsoft word.