Originally Posted by davidfor
Skipping the bit in the setup to put the books onto the device was a good idea. This tells us the book has come from Kobo somehow. You can put epubs into the Kobo desktop app by dropping them on the apps screen. It has been a while since I did this, and I don't remember what happens when you do a sync.
After the uninstall, did you remove the Kobo database on the PC? It's possible this has the bad book details and is keeping it around.
In any case, could I get a copy of the database from the device and the PC? I would like to look at them to see if I can work out what is up. They will be a few meg in size, so if you can upload them somewhere I can get them from, or PM me for my email address.
I had assumed that simply running the uninstaller would completely remove the Kobo files. Just to be sure I used Revo Uninstaller to remove the desktop app (it searches the registry and file system for leftovers) and reset the reader once more. This time, when I completed the update and sync, I no longer have the false book.
It appears that the fake-book error was also causing the sideloaded epubs to be undisplayable; I can now read them again as usual. I have no idea why they would be effected by an error on a separate book, but to all appearances, the problems all stemmed from that book. I'm still a bit suspicious that the book might show up again, but until it does, my reader is working properly once more.
Thank you for all your help, suggestions, and patience.