View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, iPad 3, iPad Air
There isn't currently a check in Quality Check which will do exactly what you want. There are a bunch of complications with trying to implement it, because of course having an image on the first page doesn't mean that it necessarily is a cover image, it could just be a logo of the publisher or a half cover etc. so you would still need to visually inspect each one to confirm it is what you are after. You would also have the problem case where the ePub has not been split into separate HTML pages for page breaks. So if the logic said "check the first HTML page for an image" then an image partway down would be a false positive. If the logic says "check the first page for only an image" (like what the Modify ePub plugin does when removing broken image link pages) then you will miss the cases where the ePub has not yet been split but still doubles up as a cover image. No clean way beyond eyeballing to know which is which...

And of course you also have the situation where the cover is at the back of the book (when shown in Sigil anyway, due to the linear attribute in the spine of the manifest).

It is an interesting one, as I too prefer to eliminate the double covers as I come across them. Just like I like to eliminate the contents html pages at the back of the book, which if someone has done multiple calibre conversions on without understanding the settings and issues get horribly duplicated. It is something else I may add to Quality Check so if I make the effort to do one I may try to do the other as well, but both have a fuzziness factor to either return false positives or miss certain scenarios which I don't like...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote