I have a Kobo Touch that I bought last summer (June?). It has worked wonderfully up 'till now; I have updated it regularly (including with several of the fatal error causing firmware updates that occurred around the time of the early 2.x releases) and have never had anything other than slight, known bugs.
About 2 weeks ago, I updated the reader and shortly after noticed a book (The Woman in White from the Internet Archives iirc) that I had deleted appear back in my library. The book no longer has a cover, continually jumps to the "most recently read" position on the home screen, and cannot be opened (it gives an error claiming the book is ADE protected and not registered to the proper account).
I have never (until today) registered the reader with ADE, though ADE has "seen" it (thereby placing "device.xml" in the Digital Editions folder). I can delete the book, but it always reappears the next time I bring the reader out of sleep mode. I have reset the reader to no avail and have now completed a factory reset for the second time on it. Both times, immediately after completing the setup and sync with Kobo (through Kobo Desktop), the book has reappeared.
Can anyone help me with this? I am about ready to *shudder* contact Kobo help and ask for a replacement/repair.
A few facts -
- I normally manually sideload my ebooks that are not Kobo purchases.
- The ebook file is not visible/present on the reader.
- My reader is currently running firmware v2.3.1.
- Two factory resets have been performed on the reader since the problem first showed up.
- I do not normally allow Calibre to "see" the reader, though I did sideload one book with it around the time the problem started to occur.
- I typically use Windows 7 when working with the reader.
- I have access to Linux (Ubuntu 12.10) if need be.
- I currently do not have access to useable WiFi and must use Kobo Desktop for all syncing of the reader.
Other errors that started concurrently with the phantom book error -
- I have also noticed that, starting at the same time as the phantom book, sideloaded epubs can no longer be read, showing blank pages when opened. This can be fixed by renaming to name.kepub.epub (while breaking annotations).
- Sideloaded name.kepub.epub books no longer properly save "last read" positions.