View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #206
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
To some extent you are right campo, however I believe that most electronic customers are less driven by the technology but rather driven by the media perception of the technology and how fashionable it is to own such a piece of technology. Look at your own choice of the Ipad Mini as a tablet, did you do a careful analysis of the technology when you decided to buy the mini. I have decided to stay away from the ipads and the new mini for the simple reason that apple products tend to be all about proprietary and in my way of thinking proprietary is bad. While I do acknowledge that is some aspects the ipad is not completely proprietary and qualifies as semi-proprietary (one can add apps for Amazon and B&N and get books from both stores not just apple) apple has a tendency to make their products proprietary and I do not want to get stuck with a proprietary anything.
Yes, I did extensive research before getting the mini. And sorry to say I strongly disagree in qualify the ipad a s a proprietary device. Maybe their power connectors or hardware, but not its reading capabilities or reading apps.

I use the mini because it allows me to read PDFs books via GoodReader. Nothing in the market allows me to do that efficiently and trust me, I've tried most Android tablets too.

The mini is , at this moment, the fastest and more efficient tablet at that size. Yes, the resolution it's not the best ... yes, it's expensive .... but it's aspect ratio, at least to me, it's ideal for my PDFs, plus the battery it's outstanding and has 4G. There is nothing like that right now, nothing. Similar Android devices may be less expensive but too narrow and without 4G, so does not work well for me.

The iPad 3 was awesome but can be too heavy for long reading sessions.

I also use Kindle for iOs on my iPad mini, and I also don't see why that can be considered as proprietary. Most books I read there, I read them on my Kindle PW too and are DRM free or from O'Reilly, which I previously uploaded to Amazon via email.

Now, you're right, some people believe owning Apple products are fashionable or cool, but that's not my case. I'm smarter than that.

I buy products based on their functionality or the features they can provide to me.

Not an Fanboy, Amazon fan, or Android geek. I get what works better for me . ;-)

Last edited by jocampo; 01-10-2013 at 09:23 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote