Just my 2c. I disagree about all being equal. I bought a Lenove desktop in November. What distinguished it from the rest was the ability to upgrade -- pcie slots, empty drive bay, aboundant power.
Originally Posted by Penforhire/wizwor
I think we need some more details before we can make good recommendations.
- Are we talking we're talking desktop or laptop?
- What is your budget?
- What size/weight, or for desktops do you need a monitor?
- Aside from Windows 7 (or 8) do you have any hardware must-haves?
- firewire port
- USB 3
- memory card reader
- latest wifi standard
- front-facing ports
- For a laptop
- target battery life
- screen size
- do you need an optical drive? blu-ray?
- For a Desktop
- will you upgrade (if so, what)
- what games will you play (specific is better)
- what programs will you run
- will you run background programs (playon, plex, etc.)
- will you watch movies
If you are not going to upgrade and have modest display requirements, I'd probably go with a laptop. A 17" screen on the right laptop is pretty close to a portable desktop these days. You will appreciate the built in 'battery backup' and portability without spending much more or losing much in the way of performance.