View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
4691mls
Fanatic
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I did not see the show in question. However, I live in the southeastern US and the local, native pronunciation of that word would indeed be "swimmin" with no trace of a G.

Even though standard American pronunciation and grammar are taught in the public schools, there are still many natives who talk in the local dialect. So I can believe that this woman would pronounce it "swimmin" in her daily life, off-TV.

To me, the question would be whether the contestants were given instructions ahead of time that answers must be in standard American English pronunciation. If they were warned, then I suppose she took the risk.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote