Thread: Mini Mini Teardown
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #28
ewphoenix123
Zealot
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PRS-500, PRS-700, PRS-650, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
So, I finished installing the new sd and ran a few tests.

# Page turn speed is pretty much the same, depending of which times I compare.
It may be slightly slower, maybe ~5% at max, but that can as well be a standard deviation, we are talking 50 page turns in ~33 instead of ~32 seconds.

So no benefit here.

# Browsing collections, books seems slightly faster, but it was never slow in the first place.

# Opening books for the first time feels a little bit faster.

# Extra space of 15gb seems to work, no problems with books not showing up as other user reported with some sd cards.

# Transfer speed computer (calibre) to Kobo increased ~3x fold, that includes sending/deleting books and updating metadata

# Updating of the database on the Kobo after adding new books is 2-3x faster

# The fetching of book covers on the Kobo after the transfer is almost instantaneous now.

I don't think upgrading really benefits the casual user, Kobo put a pretty decent SD in my GLO model and the reading experience by itself won't improve with a new card.
Everyone who wants to maintain a big library on the reader, on the other hand, will experience a noticeable speed increase when adding or replacing books, and of course a much bigger storage size.

Last edited by ewphoenix123; 01-05-2013 at 09:19 AM.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote