View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #69
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
One can make the case that since Nook is a technology company, it is the B&N executives trying to run it like a book-selling business that are the newbies that need replacing with experienced tech industry veterans.
Which some of us, me included, are saying: keep the staff, fire the owners.

It isn't about firing program managers and coders and low-level staff.
If anything, the evidence is that those guys are doing their assigned jobs properly and competently. The people that need firing are the people at the top that set the direction of the company, that assign budgets and resources to designing and maintaining their websites; to customer service, to the app store. The idiots who set policies that require direct human interaction and mutiple levels of supervisor evaluation to return one frakking, *defective* ebook.

The whiny arrogant fools who pick a fight with Time Warner over a handful of temporarily exclusive comic books. Who are so obsessed with Amazon they don't even pay attention to where they are driving their own business. (Hint: there's a cliff right ahead.)

Nook's failings start at the top and any fix needs to start at the very top. They need new policies, a clear focus, and a narrow mission. And they're not going to get it from the current B&N ownership.
Don't misrepresent what I've said. I've never said they should fire coders or low-level staff. I said nothing of the sort.

I said they should fire anyone who was in charge of making primary decisions regarding the Nook tablet, specifically in regards to the app store, the tablets' design (exterior) and the locked down nature of the the device. I mentioned the product manager, but it could also mean his/her boss and many others up and down the food chain from the product manager. Obviously, that would exclude any low level staff and coders. But it could include any and all execs up to and including the CEO.

As for the owners, you can't fire them, lol. Or rather, they won't fire themselves. If you are suggesting the owners should sell the whole shebang, that is a different discussion. I'm really just concentrating on the Nook tablet and don't want to get into the whole B&N business including their B&M stores.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote