View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #484
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I'm looking at getting the Surface Pro when it comes out later this month...
Ugh. You've got to be a wealthy person to be willing to sacrifice almost (or even over) $1000 for a tablet. I hope you won't be disappointed.

I was asking about the Windows version because if there's going to be a "metro" Marvin one day, it will probably pass me by. I'm staying away from Windows 8 in any shape or form, although my main desktop machine is a Windows 7 (supplemented by a MacBook running both Mac OS and Windows 7). Then again, Marvin would make little sense on Windows 7 (or Mac OS) because we don't really use those OSs to read e-books nowadays anymore; this is no longer the 1990s or early 2000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Just imagine...a fully operational windows machine in a tablet...
I already have that... an Acer tablet running full-blown Windows 7, and it's awful. As clunky and awkward to handle as one might expect a mobile Microsoft offering to be (sorry). Impossible to read on it reasonably, so I'm not even listing it among my reading devices here on MobileRead. Yeah, Windows 8 is supposed to be geared better towards tablets, but I have had too long a history of acute suffering with Windows mobile devices, going back to the pre-iPhone era and various PDAs running Windows Mobile. The only bright spot in using them was the superb Mobipocket Reader, until Amazon bought it and intentionally stifled it, just like they did it with Stanza on iOS. Those memories are a nightmare, and I just have zero trust in the platform, although I realize Windows 8 was written from scratch. Time will tell, but right now I'd say odds are heavily against Windows tablets being a platform significant enough to warrant the development of a Marvin version tailored for it, "metro" or not. I may be wrong.

Last edited by Faterson; 01-04-2013 at 09:44 PM.