View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #439
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Yes, noob mode definitely should be the default. And I know of no noob who would push that Advanced Settings button -- they're typically scared to death of such things. So, what danger of confusing the noob is there, really, if advanced settings are strictly separated from basic ones? I'd say, no danger.
Way back when I was a noob (we all were once upon a time), I would check advanced features. I still do actually.

Off the top of my head, I can remember two software products where I thought the Basic/Advanced settings/controls separation was particularly well executed. One is from my own country, Eset NOD anti-virus (although I no longer use it), and the other is ABBYY FineReader. They both start in noob mode by default, and you can't possibly get lost in advanced settings unless you explicitly activate them. [/QUOTE]

My router has basic and advanced and the basic is too basic and the advanced may be too advanced for some where they need more then basic but not all of advanced.

So in the case of Marvin, the division of basic/advanced needs to be though out carefully to have basic not be too basic.