View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #436
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini Ret & 3 & 1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Not to say that such features shouldn't be considered or included, but I agree that the UI needs to be considered carefully and whether it makes sense to include all options or as suggested by others, have an advanced mode that gives you more flexibility if you truly desire it, without confusing the majority of folks who will use your app (default to the noob friendly UI).
Yes, noob mode definitely should be the default. And I know of no noob who would push that Advanced Settings button -- they're typically scared to death of such things. So, what danger of confusing the noob is there, really, if advanced settings are strictly separated from basic ones? I'd say, no danger.

Off the top of my head, I can remember two software products where I thought the Basic/Advanced settings/controls separation was particularly well executed. One is from my own country, Eset NOD anti-virus (although I no longer use it), and the other is ABBYY FineReader. They both start in noob mode by default, and you can't possibly get lost in advanced settings unless you explicitly activate them.