View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #35
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 242
Karma: 1009530
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Geelong, Australia
Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
I've had a few problems similar to this (generally unresponsive every now and then), but mainly the content manager would run continuously after a sync until the battery went flat and I got into the habit of killing it right after each sync.

I suspected a corrupt epub, but couldn't find an easy way to work out what the content manager was looking at so I put the following in a script (my T1 is rooted):
Code:
busybox find /proc/*/fd -print0 | busybox xargs -0 ls -l | busybox grep epub
This just looks for any open epub files that a process has open.

Once I found an epub that the content manager was stuck on, testing it with "unzip -t" would give errors like:

Spoiler:
Code:
sbacer 2739> unzip -t  Sony_Reader/media/books/CBUS125EP009001U.epub
Archive:  Sony_Reader/media/books/CBUS125EP009001U.epub
    testing: META-INF/                OK
    testing: META-INF/container.xml   OK
    testing: mimetype                 OK
    testing: OEBPS/                   OK
    testing: OEBPS/0123456789.opf     OK
    testing: OEBPS/0123456789_cov.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_1.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_10.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_11.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_12.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_13.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_14.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_15.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_16.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_17.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_18.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_19.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_20.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_21.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_22.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_23.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_24.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_25.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_26.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_27.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_28.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_29.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_3.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_30.html  
  error:  invalid compressed data to inflate
file #30:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  123206
file #31:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  129270
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_33.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_34.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_35.html  
  error:  invalid compressed data to inflate
file #35:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  150475
file #36:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  153531
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_38.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_39.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_4.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_5.html  
  error:  invalid compressed data to inflate
file #41:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  174327
file #42:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  177607
file #43:  bad zipfile offset (local header sig):  180824
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_9.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/AroundtheWorldin80Days_copyright.html   OK
    testing: OEBPS/contents.html      OK
    testing: OEBPS/Images/            OK
    testing: OEBPS/Images/cover.png   bad CRC 83846fbf  (should be a20118e4)
    testing: OEBPS/Images/Thumb.png   OK
    testing: OEBPS/Penn.css           OK
    testing: OEBPS/toc.ncx            OK
At least one error was detected in Sony_Reader/media/books/CBUS125EP009001U.epub.


I've fixed this (so far!) by doing a number of cycles of bad sector scan/fix. On Windows 7 with the T1 connected, right click Properties, select the Tools tab, click "Check now" and then check the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" box and then click Start. Anything that was listed as having a bad sector/cluster I then got Calibre to re-send to the T1.

If I have any more errors, I think I'll just switch to using a micro SD card and not put anything in the internal memory of the T1. What I'm really worried about is if any of these bad sectors occur in other partitions of the T1's memory - then I suspect it'll be time for a new reader...

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote