View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #27
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
One of my daughters owns one and still uses a dedicated eInk device. However, it makes much practical sense to exclusively use an iPad to read now that I know it has a 12 hour battery life.
That's what I found strange too, but of my two early adopter friends (female) who worship at the feet of the might Fruit, both after owning more than one iPad version, have purchased Kindles. At first I assumed it was a battery issue, but trying to work it out without asking them (because that will result in some skewing I'm sure), I think it is rather to do with portability and a closer-to-paper relationship.

I find phones and tablets to be annoying in the bedroom, since I always feel they are distracting a person. A book or reader requires (Get out PW/Glo, I don't neeeeeed you) the light on and somehow that makes a difference. Being able to read outside during summer is also a big deal for women I think.

Friends and colleagues with more entertainment focused tablets too have readers, or just read paper books. It's why I'm fairly sure that any decrease in reader sales is likely more the saturation of the target market, rather than a decrease in desirability.

Then again maybe that's just me with my desire for dumb-phones and non-mobile hardware. To keep life simple with distinct areas of work, play and disconnection.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote