View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300, 350 Pink & Silver, Black & Red T1, K4NT, KPW, Red T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Ereader sales seem to be determined wholly by brand recognition and the strength of the retail channel. Amazon does well everywhere because it's already a known quantity in the book business everywhere. In most markets there seems to be room for at least one competitor tied to a large brick and mortar book chain: whether that be Nook in the US or Kobo in Canada, Japan, UK, France, etc.

It's even more than that. In Canada at a Future Shop or Best Buy, I forget which, the hubby & I saw probably about 50 - 60 Sony T2 readers in a wire cage. None were on display anywhere. Yet there was an endcap with a dedicated Kobo display of several models. I'm always one for new toys & gadgets so asked about seeing a T2 to play with.

Sales rep said there was no display but he could open one. I didn't want him to open one just so I could play with it. But we did ask how on earth they were expecting to sell any with none on display and them all locked in a cage at the back of the store. It's not his decision obviously but I asked what the heck?!?

He said Kobo pays for the end cap. Sony doesn't pay so no display for Sony. When you see a display in a store, the maker of the item in the display pays for that space. Essentially renting it. It's smart and gets their name out there.

I want an ereader. What's an ereader? Oh look! This Kobo thing is an ereader. Are there any others around? Nope, only this one brand on display with differet models to choose from. Ok I'll buy it.

Good for Kobo but bad for consumers who only see the one maker & don't investigate enough to see what else is out there available to them. That's how they get such high numbers. It's NOT based on it being a good device over anything else.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote