View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #386
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 2, iPad 3&1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I'm sure all the people who can't (or won't) de-DRM their ebooks appreciate the Bluefire reader
Yeah... it's just that to say, "For reading e-books on your iPad, there are A, B, C, and D, and the best is A," is rather misleading if it's not explained in more detail. Moreover, most of the objections against Marvin will be moot in a couple of weeks' time.

The way I see it, if you wish to read DRM-protected EPUB books, Bluefire might be the best out there, but not because it's "better than Marvin" -- it's because Marvin does not compete with Bluefire in that department. When it comes to DRM-free EPUB books, Marvin wipes the floor with Bluefire. You could compare them feature by feature, and Marvin seems a step ahead of Bluefire in each of them. I don't mean to slight Bluefire -- competition is a good thing, and maybe this will inspire Bluefire to try and catch up with Marvin.

The biggest difference to me between the two apps, though, has been their "look and feel" -- Marvin seems lightning-fast and fluid, whereas Bluefire strikes me as clunky, jerky, as if it were a struggle for it to display the books. Don't know about you guys, but I've had trouble performing some basic tasks in Bluefire, like tapping & holding a word and drawing the right and left selection markers to their desired positions.

But, I'm perfectly willing to give Bluefire (as well as MegaReader, etc.) another try in future. Like I say, competition is a good thing. The more these apps compete among each other, the more us readers are going to profit. And it's slightly comical to observe the behemoths of iBooks and the Kindle app in their lethargy and utter complacency -- it's as if they weren't interested in competition at all, so sure they are of their position, and so happy about their mediocrity.