Well, unless I'm seriously missing something, then there appears to be a problem. I am using a new Glo with firmware 2.3.1, and Calibre 0.9.11 (64-bit), with a library of about 150 books (all epub format, all sideloaded, no DRM, no Adobe involvement). The "Set Series information" option is turned on for the device.
Sequence of operations was:
1. Wipe the Glo clean, deleting all content (using Calibre).
2. Eject the Glo, let it wipe its databases. It reports "You have no books".
3. Restart Calibre (for good measure).
4. Connect the Glo to USB port, touch "Connect", let it be recognized by Calibre.
5. Select all books in Calibre, do a "Send to Device->Main memory" (there is no SD card on the Glo)
6. Calibre sends all the books. Click "Device->Eject".
7. Unplug the Glo, wait while it "Processes content".
8. Check the list of books on the Glo, randomly a few, verify that all is well.
9. Restart Calibre, again for good measure.
10. Connect the Glo, touch "Connect".
11. Calibre sees the Glo, synchronizes library against the device, and lists all books as being on "Main memory".
12. Do a "Device->Eject". Unplug the Glo, wait while it "Processes content"
13. Library display is exactly as it was before: Author, Title, various status info (read/not read, type, size). There is no series information displayed anywhere, including under "Show Details".
14. Redo steps 9-13 with the same results (leading into the definition of insanity).
I followed all the instructions in the link you provided in your last message, and cannot see what might be wrong. Suggestions?