Thread: Glo Case for Glo
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #96
Liesse
Connoisseur
Liesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneLiesse makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle3, Kobo Glo
My new Glo is in this Neoskin case. Thanks to Rhwe's thread on making a case into a sleepcover for making me notice these covers -- I followed the link in his thread, and once I saw the owls I had to buy one. Owls are wise, and er, wise people must read lots of books, and my Kobo has lots of books, so it's all thematically correct and everything (has nothing to do with the fact that I think the owls are cute). There are loads of lovely designs for these cases; just bear in mind they do come in different sizes as I think they make them sized for the Fire too, so make sure you get the right size.

It fits my Glo remarkably well, considering its a Kindle/Touch case, and I'm sure people say the Kobo Touch was larger. Glo slots into the four fabric straps and is held well. I can't get to the micro sd, but plugging the USB in is no problem with him in his case at all. The light switch is operable no problem in the case. The power slide is a bit tricky as the top right elastic thingy goes over it a bit, but this is probably also because I'm a bit unfamiliar with my Glo's switch layout coming from my K3. As Glo will go to sleep himself after ten minutes anyway, I think if it gets troublesome I could just turn the light off, zip the case up and go to sleep myself without switching off.

Not too sure yet how much protection the case gives. It is apparently Neoprane, and some people on Amazon reckon it smells a bit chemically. Well I've got the flu and my nose is a bit inhibited as a result, but I can't smell my case at all. Obviously my own owls are not smelly birds. Neoprane is apparently water resistant which I take to mean it'll be ok in the rain but not if I drop it in the canal. This is probably better protection than my K3's lighted cover, as that left the sides out. The case is padded on the back and has a stiffer front bit to offer more protection for the screen. I think if I knocked my Glo off something like the sofa the case would protect him. And I took him to the inlaws wrapped in his case in my overstuffed handbag and he was protected from pens, lipgloss, a charger, keys and half a packet of Polo mints, so that's decent protection, right?

The only problem I am having with the case is folding the front part back to read with. It doesn't go flat and feels a bit wrong. The case has two zips that make the Glo all snug when it is closed, but one of these gets in the way a bit when folding the front to the back. I like to hold with my left hand, which also taps the screen to turn pages - one handed operation is a must for me. It is ok, but I have to make sure the bottom zip is tucked away in a fold so it doesn't get in the way.

Still. Can't have everything. I've got padding and owls, so til I see UK availability on a purple sleepcover, I'm decently happy with this case.

Last edited by Liesse; 12-26-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote