View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #21
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS T3, Nexus 7, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Which presents the problem of how you "show" a new chapter when the previous one happens to end at the bottom of the previous page. (Sort of the reverse of the trying to avoid orphaned lines at the end of a chapter.)
I have all or very nearly all the Flashman books in print, and don't remember ever having that problem. The new chapter starts with a big top margin, not at the top of the page.

Perhaps more important to the original poster is that I did not remember that there are no chapter numbers or chapter titles. It just didn't make a scrap of difference to my reading enjoyment.

Some at least of Lois McMaster Bujold's books have the chapters numbered, but instead of a chapter title the first few words of the chapter form the 'title' both at the start of the chapter and in the table of contents. That stayed in my memory, but didn't make the slightest difference to my reading enjoyment.

So, as a reader, I just don't care whether there is a chapter title or not. What does set my teeth on edge is to have numbered but untitled chapters, and and then have a vertical list of numbers in the table of contents - especially if they are Roman numerals.

Chacun son goût as the French say.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote