Originally Posted by msw_author
I'm an Australian-based writer and have just finished my first novel (hoorah!). I've decided to use Lightning Source to print my paperback version on the novel, and the proof is all approved. I also decided to use them for the e-Book. My main reason for this was:
1. Any revenue from sales for the eBook will be through the same company as the paperback (i.e. I'll only have 1 relationship with a printer/distributor)
2. Going through Lightning Source means that I didn't have to apply for a US Tax File Number (which seemed quite a process), and so any revenue would be in Aussie Dollars, and taxed here in Australia.
So I'm comfortable with my decision so far, except the uploading of the ePub file to Lightning Source has been a nightmare! I created the ePub using Adobe InDesign. I a a novice to the program, but figured it out. I was able to export an ePub (in both version 2.0.1 and 3.0) which passed the validation check (validator.idpf.org/) with no issues. I also viewed the file successfully on a iPad, Kindle and Kobo. But when I upload the file to Lightning Source it is always rejected with a reason of 'Adobe Format Rejected - Invalid Metadata or Content File'. It gives no additional details. The Lightning Source representatives try to help, but they are telling me to use a conversion vendor to assist. I'm not crazy about spending $300 on getting an ePub created, where I believe that my version is OK anyway.
So my question really is:
1. Had anyone successfully uploaded an ePub to LightningSource? If so, do you have any tips? i.e. what kind of computer do you have? Mac or Windows? Which program did you use to create the ePub?
2. Does anyone know of any issues with uploading an ePub from a Mac? I read some threads about the zipping and unzipping on a Mac causes issues, so I tried using a Windows machine and had the same problems.
3. If I do decide to use a conversion vendor, does anyone have any recommendations on companies that are good?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Did you figure out the issue with your metadata? I ask, because my problem is identical to yours!
I'd love to hear how it was resolved.