Thread: DR1000 Batteries for DR1000
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #29
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
2x Capacity battery failure(s)

After a veeeery looong test period, I have now an enormous log of the charge / discharge cycles of my large (2400mAh) battery. I'll post it here tomorrow as an edit, after one last discharge period.

My conclusions:
-It is currently not possible to make the DR1000 work with battery capacities larger than the original (1300 mAh).
-Its charge gauge adapts very well to batteries of that or lesser capacity, which makes sense, because batteries are expected to diminish their capacity over time and be replaced at some point.

Working with a 2400 mAh battery I've observed three different behaviours:
-The DR1000 will discharge for ~12.5 hours and will give its low battery warning, and lit the red led. It will sit like that for another ~12.5 hours before actually running out of power.
-The device will report 100% battery for ~12 hours, and then will report a 'normal' discharge over the next 12 hours.
-It will discharge over the course of 12 hours as if the battery were the original one, then will do another identical cycle if restarted.
Since I haven't find a method to reliably make it work like cases 2 and 3, the idea of sticking a larger capacity battery in the reader is not very practical... yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Looking in the source code of the DR, there seems to be a gasgauge IC on the DR1000 (kdbupgrade.c). The gasgauge ic probably contains its own CPU ...
Unfortunately the pictures on http://dr1000s.blogspot.nl/ do not show anymore, so I could not find any details w.r.t. the used gasgauge ic.
But dear friend, you have me here. What do you think the numbers and xs below my name, where it says 'device', mean? Here you have a couple of pictures of a DR1000 board, and I'm ready to do all the experiments you want. The only problem is I can't take very good pictures with my mobile phone, so you'll have to guide me 'a little'.

Assuming the IC you mention is the little black square below and a bit to the left of the battery plug socket (ivory square next to the right edge) in the second picture, it has 14pins (7 going up, 7 down), is labelled as U25 or U35 on the board, and it also has the number 6 to one side. On top of it there's three lines -- 1: 4085; 2: N7347; 3: LT90. If you need whatever else, just send me a PM...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iRexDR1000S.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	97904   Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryCorner.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	97905  
Attached Files
File Type: zip log_5240110_2400mAh.zip (81.9 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by MrWarper; 12-20-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Added the log for the 5240110 / 2400mAh battery
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote