View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #63
Hamlet53
Empress Dowager Cixi
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm curious (as someone who voted for Modern Fiction), why do you consider Life of Pi as "realistic dramatic fiction" and not The Kite Runner?
Regarding Life of Pi, I suppose it depends on how one interprets the book. In spoiler for those who have not read it:

Spoiler:
I take the second story as the real one. All the fantasy about tigers, orangutangs, etc. is just how Pi copes mentally with his experience and what he did to survive. In that I don't eliminate it as unrealistic, and otherwise consider it a worthwhile book.

The Kite Runner go my thumps down because the writing was bad; a soapy tale with unrealistic characters and portrayals. On retrospect I probably should not have eliminated it. I guess it is one of the books that fit the category, but that I would never nominate or vote for.
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote