View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #29
Hamlet53
Sister Carrie
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
This info graphic is based on the movie, but a comparison with the book we just read might be interesting. A "further breakdown of the chart, from top to bottom" can be found at CinemaBlend.com.
Thanks Tom for that graphic. I have yet to see the film, and in fact it seems unlikely that I will until it becomes available on DVD through my local library. Unfortunately Cloud Atlas is not the sort of film that manages to ever get a screening in the two theaters that exist in the county I live in. Both did recently have a two week duration screening of the latest film in the Twilight series. I fear that The Life of Pi will never make it here, and I am also doubtful about Spielberg's Lincoln making it here as well.

So judging from that graphic it appears that the film introduces characters and linkages not present in the novel. There also seems to be some variation in the story as well (from your link):

Quote:
Jim Sturgess: In 1849, he is Adam Ewing whose friendship with escaped slave Autua (David Gyasi) inspires him to give up his father-in-law's slave trade and join the abolitionists with his wife Tilda (Doona Bae). In 2012 he reappears as a hooligan-loving highlander who attacks Nurse Noakes (Hugo Weaving) to defend Timothy Cavendish (Jim Broadbent) and his friends. But Sturgess leaps to action hero status in 2144 as freedom fighter Hae-Joo Chang who frees Somni-451 (Doona Bae) and inspires her to join his rebellion that aims to end the slavery of clones. Finally in 2321, he's an Adam once again, this time Zachry's (Tom Hanks) brother, who meets a bloody end.
In the novel however Hae-Joo Im is a Corporacy provocateur who assists in exposing the Union plot to over throw Unanimity.

Anyway I am currently reading The Life and Death of Yukio Mishima by Henry Scott-Stokes and this jogged my memory about something I might have commented on earlier. Mishima's four novel Sea of Fertility (Spring Snow, Runaway Horses, The Temple of Dawn, and The Decay of the Angel) is told from the viewpoint of a single character, Shigekuni Honda, who over the course of his long life interacts with four different characters (one per novel); Kiyoaki Matsugae, Isao Iinuma, Ying Chan, and Tōru Yasunaga. What is interesting about this relative to Cloud Atlas is that each of these four characters are reincarnations of a single spirit, are linked by a common physical mark (three moles located under the left arm pit), and share common dreams. Honda recognizes these incarnations for what they are by that physical mark and also through his own dreams. The last book in the series, The Decay of the Angel, was published in1971. I had mentioned in my previous comment about how Cloud Atlas seemed derivative of other books, and this leads me to wonder whether David Mitchell may have been inspired by Sea of Fertility?
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote