View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #154
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I just don't want to overload the menu with too much settings. Some newbies could become confused.
If I may suggest something ... introduce a single global "Advanced Options" setting (somewhere in the "top-main menu", valid for all "sub-menus", i.e. one setting for the "whole device").
If it's "off" (should be the "factory default"), the user will get just the most "basic" options everywhere (good for "novice users"). If someone switches it "on", you can display as many options as needed (good for "experienced users").
One could also imagine a "Level of Experience" option (instead of a simple "on" / "off" for "Advanced Options") ... something like the "Dreyfus model of skill acquisition" ...
1 = "Novice" ("factory default"), 2 = "Advanced Beginner", 3 = "Competent", 4 = "Proficient", 5 = "Expert", 6 = "Master", 7 = "???", ..., 9 = "Hacker" ... or something like "The Seven Stages of Expertise in Software Engineering" ... 1 = "Innocent / Naive", 2 = "Exposed / Aware", 3 = "Apprentice / Student", 4 = "Practitioner / Apprentice", 5 = "Journeyman", 6 = "Master", 7 = "Researcher / Expert", ..., 9 = "Hacker"
Note: there should be a possibility to "reset all options to factory defaults" somewhere.

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 12-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote