So, since Baen will be shutting down its monthly bundles shortly as far as availability of the older ones go, I've started purchasing some of the ones I had on my wishlist (and should probably have started earlier, as some books I wanted have disappeared, but at least the remaining bundles are cheaper now?)
I refer you to previous threads on exactly how the Baen Monthly Bundle Gift thing works, you can see detailed instructions here
, which I advise you to read if you haven't done so already.
Long story short:
1. You need to supply an email address which is not registered with Baenebooks.com. And you need to supply it via PM to the person ahead of you in line. You then redeem via your regular Baenebooks.com account, which of course has a completely different email associated with it.
2. Email accounts with aggressive spam filters (work, Gmail, etc.) are not good choices. If you don't see the code, check your spamtrap, and/or PM the person ahead of you to see if they can send you the confirmation copy which Baen should have sent them.
3. Have another email address (your own secondary address which you know to work with Baen's system, or the address of the next person after you in line who will PM you) so that you can enter it as the next giftee when redeeming your freebie.
4. Do not redeem the code until you have 3. ready to go. You will break the chain and I will curse you personally.
(ETA: Just so you know, you have to redeem the codes in two separate transactions, or only one will get passed on (maybe) and then I'll really curse you and all your inadequate ancestors, and your misbegotten descendents unto the ninth generation.
Just so you know.)
5. In order to keep track of things, please post in this thread when you have PMed the person in front of you, and then post again when you have received the code and are waiting/have passed it on to the next MR user.
Right now I am buying the two months which I am absolutely sure contain the combo of books that I want, and I will be passing both codes on to the next in line so that I don't clutter things up with 2 threads to track.
To keep things going, I request that all participants pass on both codes at the same time to the next in line as well, whether or not you want to get both bundles (already own, not interested in titles, profound ideological dispute with author which leaves one unwilling to even bump up stats with a freebie "sale", whatever), and just PM/forward whichever code you don't redeem, so that the chain can keep on going smoothly without people having to individually hunt down and wait for either part.
The bundles I am buying are:
Marching Through Peachtree
by Harry Turtledove
Wiz Combo II: Cursed and Consulted
by Rick Cook (sequel to a very funny and highly recommended former Baen Free Library freebie series)
Agent of Vega
by James H. Schmitz edited by Eric Flint and Guy Gordon
by Harry Turtledove
Against the Odds
by Elizabeth Moon
Down in the Bottomlands
by Harry Turtledove and L.Sprague De Camp
1634: The Baltic War
by Eric Flint and David Weber
by John Lambshead
From the Sea to the Stars
by Andre Norton
The Way to Glory
by David Drake
by William Mark Simmons
by Harry Turtledove, Roland Green and Martin H. Greenberg
If you sign up for this chain, please be so kind as to check back at MR/your email every few hours to see if someone else has signed on/sent you the codes so we can pass things through to as many readers as want to get in on this.
Apparently the deadline will be on Saturday, Dec 15th, at which point the bundles will dissolve and the prices of all of Baen's self-published e-books will go up. I advise you to get anything you think you might want before then. I'll probably pick up a few more bundles over the next day or so, but right now I need to cram for finals and don't have the leisure time to go over their catalogue properly.