View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
My thinking is that they treat MOBI files as docs in an intentionally awkward manner, to encourage Kindle purchases.
Bingo! Definitely... It's "the Amazon way".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I want to have all my books on one software platform. It's hard enough to browse my unread books on both physical and virtual shelves.
Well, the trouble is, you only seemingly have them on one software platform if you use both hardware Kindles and Kindle on iOS. For example, there is no equivalent for the "My Clippings" file in Kindle for iOS, which is a big letdown for me. The Kindle app for iOS does not even support a simple copy-paste of highlighted passages, which I find mind-boggling. And, to return to "the Amazon way", Kindle won't synchronize your last-place-read, bookmarks, notes, etc. for any of your own ("free") books -- only for those purchased from Amazon. Given the lack of customization options in the iOS Kindle app, and so many stumbling blocks (some of them seemingly intentionally put into our way), I just said good-bye to Kindle on the iPad. I do prefer the hardware Kindles for daytime reading.

As to the unity you mentioned, for me that's Calibre rather than specific e-reader software. SugarSync keeps all my Calibre folders synchronized across all my computers and mobile devices, and then it's up to me to pick the software in which to read a particular book. From SugarSync/Calibre, you can easily open a book in 3 or 4 e-reader apps on the iPad, read a chapter in each of the apps, and compare the reading experience.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote