View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Mini,Sony T1, Galaxy Tab 10.1,Samsung S2 phone,iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Having come from years using other readers (Amazon, BN, Sony), I recently purchased a Kobo Glo. I'm pretty well versed in readers, but had no idea that Kobo uses different rendering techniques. Kepub v. epub. From a marketing sense, I get it, provide more benefits from your proprietary engine. I know too that B&N uses a different Adobe DRM scheme. But ALL the other readers don't treat their files differently when rendered; there may be more content behind a file (X-Ray, for example), but they all are rendered the same.

I like the form factor of the device, but...

Any others have some advice? I already know about the save as *.kepub.epub, but that doesn't help with the news generated by Calibre. Unless there are some Calibre secrets, I think I may have to pass on this one. Seems a shame as the form factor is quite nice.
I load any book that has been "un-drm'd" by Calibre and Apprentice Alf's tools onto my Kobo without any issues. If downloaded directly from the Kobo website onto your PC, the ebook is in ordinary "epub" format and you don't need to play with the file extension. Kepubs are books downloaded directly to the reader from Kobo. If you use Calibre why not get the epub on the PC directly from the website?
I'm able to load my "Montreal Gazette" using the Web browser (on my Mini) and the Calibre server with no issues as well, it is added to Calibre in the epub format when it downloads.
I'm not sure I understand what type of problem you believe you have? Could you explain more?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote