I lost the thread there.
1) replacement battery: Go for it. Most "unnatural" deaths that I have witnessed or read about have been battery related. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxKqr3t35HM
They want $30 (but you get to hear Bolero on the video)
2) rootfs - yes probably toast but hey you can fix it one day
3) 0x just tells the application it's a hex address (can't hurt to put it in)
4) renaming the files doesn't matter (only the content)
5) Yep it will be a kindleberry (would need to be able to turn on)
6) Touches are almost extinct. Better make the decision soon before they al head for the tarpits.