View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle 4nt
Introduction:
OK. I do not know how I can thank you guys. I wanted to buy some booz for you guys, but I don't even know where you guys are and how much you could drink.

Background:
But, I actually found I could only understand about 60% of what you guys told me. I think that's probably not only because I am not a native English speaker, but I also am a total noob in Kindle Development & in linux. So, I decided to write a "simple-&-easy-to-be-understandable" tutorial of how to enable USBnetwork & VNCviewer for a noob like me for the K4NT in plain English.

OK. this note is for Kindle 4 non touchable (bought in December 2012, silver version) with Firmware 4.1.0. My operation system is win7 32bit.

Method:
1> Follow wiki to jailbreak the device. Using the Universal method.
2> install USBnetwork. (download from this giant thread). Just exact the file and find the version for K4. copy to kindle root. Then in kindle, select "update".
3> (using notepad++) modify kindle/usbnet/etc/config set host_ip to 192.168.15.201 and set kindle_ip to 192.168.15.244 (this kindle ip is very important. the 244 is for us K4. Yes, our K4 ends with 244.)
4> 'add ENABLE_DIAGS' to kindle root and restart kindle.
5> go to the menu and 'Enable USBnet'. From here, the win7 can detect and install a driver for the new device.
5.5> in WIKI, after step 5, it says you can do putty. But I never succeeded from the diags step. So, I gave up in the step 5.5. Most important thing at step 5 is to install the driver.
6> in Win7, setup the network connection's IPv4 address to 192.168.15.201
7> find and install a vnc server in WIN7. and allow it to 'accept incoming connections' from 5901
8> reboot kindle with usb UNconnected. Go to menu-> search -> keyboard and type in ;debugOn then the 'virtual enter' key NOT THE DONE key. then also type in ~usbNetwork with enter and ;debugOff with enter
9> now, run putty from win7 with a host address of 192.168.15.244
10> username is root, password is mario
11> in putty. do 'cd/' to get to root directory. then do 'cd/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer'
12> in putty. do './kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.201:1'

Result:
13> Now, you will see your kindle displays the topleft part of your screen (0,0) to (600,800).

Acknowledgement:
I really really want to thank all the guys that have tried to replied my questions, even my questions are the highest-ranked-nooby ones and I could feel that these guys got really annoyed by them and maybe couldn't put up with them already. These guys are: twobob, geekmaster, knc1 and NiLuJe. I also want to thank for the developers like hawhill and others who spent endless time to make these nice things for us and for a better world.

Last edited by wildcolor; 07-22-2013 at 02:19 PM.
wildcolor is offline   Reply With Quote