View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #1257
mgmueller
Wizard
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

I really like the Kindle Fire HD 7".
I slightly prefer the Kindle Paperwhite, but for some content a tablet simply makes more sense and fun.
And being Amazon respectively Kindle fan, Fire HD was a natural choice.
I had to go for the 7" version, as the 8.9" version doesn't seem to make its way outside of the US.
But after having the Fire HD 7" for ca. 5 weeks now, I had to go for the 8.9" version - of course.
It was here within 4 days - astonishing!

I'm positively surprised. I've got minor issues, for example lovefilm not working for some reason. But that's just the "confusion" amongst my accounts/countries.
But the hardware really is great. 7" and 8.9" are "identical twins".
I hate the differences in design of iPad 3/4 and iPad mini.
Both Kindle Fire HDs on the other hand are perfect reflections of each other.
And surprisingly enough: 8.9" actually fells less heavy than the 7" version. The specs say differently, so obviously it's all about balancing...

Brightness seems a bit different. I've got them both on "auto", but the 8.9" always seems a bit darker than the 7".

I like them both.

And I like the build quality.
Goggle Nexus 7 is equally well built, whereas Nook HD, in my personal book, is an insolence!

I'll use the 7" more often, for reading that's more than enough and it's simply more comfortable to hold.
But the 8.9" version definitely will travel a lot with me. Watching movies in the hotel just is way more fun on a bigger display.

It's a shame though, that the 8.9" (from what I've read) won't make it elsewhere. It's supposed to remain "US only". Because of that, I couldn't go for the 3G/4G version. I didn't want to risk it. No idea, whether there's a way around the AT&T flat rate, which wouldn't be of much use in Germany.
A pity, I love the free 3G on the other Kindles!
Still: Great gadget!
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote