This plugin has been deprecated. If you have installed it, please remove it and install the iOS reader applications plugin
, which also supports connecting directly to iBooks.
This plugin enables direct connection with Apple iDevices. Books are transferred directly to iBooks on the connected device via iTunes, but the books are not stored in iTunes.
Before installing this plugin, it is important that you configure calibre and iTunes to work properly together as detailed in the Calibre + Apple iDevices: Start here
forum sticky. Add at least one book from calibre to iTunes using the 'Connect to iTunes' method to confirm the configuration.
With the iDevice connected, open iTunes and select the connected iDevice. On the Device summary page in the Options section:
- Disable 'Sync with this iPad over Wi-Fi'
- Enable 'Manually manage videos'.
The difference between using this plugin and 'Connect to iTunes' is that books are sent directly to iBooks on the connected iDevice without the need to sync. Additionally, books are sent only to iBooks on the connected iDevice without storing a extra copy in iTunes or locally on your machine.
If, after installing the plugin, your iDevice is not recognized, follow these steps to report its USB characteristics:
- Connect your iDevice to your computer via USB
- Start calibre
- Open Preferences|Advanced|Miscellaneous|Debug device detection
- Click Copy to clipboard
- Close the Preferences dialog
- Create a reply in this thread with the type of iDevice, its generation, and the cellular provider (or cellular modem type). For example, "iPad 3rd generation, GSM" or "iPhone5, Verizon".
- Paste the contents of the clipboard into the message, then select that pasted content and apply a spoiler tag (click the eyeball with the 'X' through it).
- Requires calibre 0.9.9 or later.
- This Device Plugin is not built into calibre because it requires you to do some extra work to configure your system and requires particular settings for iTunes. If you're unwilling or unable to do the configuration, don't install this plugin.
- There are many configuration options in iTunes influencing the successful operation of this plugin. If you report problems, I will first ask you to confirm that you've followed these directions. I will make a reasonable effort to resolve problems reported here, but if I can't, I will advise you to use the 'Connect to iTunes' method or calibre's Content Server to transfer content to your iDevice instead.
- Enabling 'Use Series as Category in iTunes/iBooks' in the plugin's configuration options does not change the book's sort title in iBooks. If you need this feature, use 'Connect to iTunes' to transfer books to your iDevice.
- Open Preferences|Plugins|Get new plugins to install the 'Apple device interface' plugin. Or, download the attached zip file and install the plugin manually, then restart calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.