Originally Posted by jgawne
I am nearly insane from days of bashing at an issue of formatting. Seems the author somehow changed something in his WORD formatting midway through his manuscript, then changed it again a second time near the end. The changes affect font and line spacing. Looks fine in word, but when you go to sigil epub it shows up. fix it in Sigil and then when you convert to mobi it comes back.
Sadly, there are bold and italic parts that are intregal to the book, so I can't just wipe all formatting.
I have stared at the codes for hours until my eyes are blurry. I think I have gotten the font issue solved by brute force, but the spacing is a total mystery. I had found that part of the WORD file had "add 10 points below every paragraph" and took that out. Minor difference but it still jumps from one line to two, or none, almost at random.
I just don't want to give up (matter of pride). I have tried all manner of conversions, reconversions, manual code editing in sigil, etc. I even downloaded open office thinking maybe it worked like Word Perfect (in that it actually let you see the format codes with out any hassle) but no luck.
does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try? I am normally not back with html coding, but I just cannot find where this code is lurking.
For one thing, it's in the CSS, pure and simple. The space below will be in the paragraph styling in the CSS; font kerning or spacing will be in any SPANS you find in the code. You can't fix this in Word, not easily. You could try Bookcreator to tag the italics and the bold, and then clear the formatting, then restore the font characteristics (italic and bold) but honestly--this sort of cruft is absolutely normal, and it gets fixed in the coding. There's nothing unusual about this, and you have to look at the top of the html file to see the CSS, in Sigil. That's the fast & easy way--and then regex out the extraneous spans. I can virtually (pun intended) guarantee that they are there.