View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Great thread sun surfer. Definitely more Best than Worst for me this year.

The Best of Times
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. Just a brilliant work. If you haven't read this, read this.
The Trial by Franz Kafka. I love how Kafka can be read at so many levels.
Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes. I think the literary book club did itself a disservice not reading this one for poetry month. Poems written to Sylvia Plath by the husband dealing with her depression and eventual suicide and being implicated in that.
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Even if Chuck is a one-trick schtick kind of author, this book is brilliant.
R is for Rocket by Ray Bradbury. Retro short stories goodness.
Halting State by Charles Stross. People hate the second person narration. I'm sorry but that works for the concept of the story. While potentially disjointed for some, there is so much good stuff in here if you like geek tech stuff.
Ascension by Steven Galloway. The story of a tight-rope walker is wonderful. Galloway just sucks me into his storytelling.
The Young Wizards Series by Diane Duane. I can't say enough about this set of books as I get deeper and deeper into the series. Just well written good fun in the young adult section.

The Worst of Times
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. While I can appreciate a character study, I found I cared little for the characters. I was hoping the boat would sink.
Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link. Part of a bundle of books I bought. This short story collection was promising to start with the first one, but went downhill after that. I finished it, that's all I can say.
Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut. As much as I've enjoyed many Vonnegut books, this one did little for me. If you want to read Vonnegut I can recommend him heartily, but avoid this one unless you are a huge fan.
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. I can appreciate Mr. Twain's social commentary and boyhood life story, but I just found it plenty dull for the most part. Part of me has given up on American fiction when it is listed with the great American novel moniker.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote