I did a lot of re-reading, so I won't count my favorites that I re-read.
My best (new to me) of 2012:
- Wool by Hugh Howey - Post-apocalyptic story about life in the Silo. This one is joining my to be re-read pile.
- Honor Harrington series by David Weber - Far future military science fiction series, I have only read the first two, but will continue reading this series.
Several short stories were also highlights:
- "The Plagiarist" by Hugh Howey - What if we become more interested in being plugged in than connecting with others?
- "The Feeling of Power" by Isaac Asimov - What if we forgot how math works?
- "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell - What happens when the world's most distinguished hunter becomes bored?
Because I did so many re-reads this year I only read books I was really expecting to like or were well recommended. I did have a couple short stories that only rated a "meh" from me, "An Apple a Day Keeps the Dragon Away" and "Blood Spatter".