View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #23
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I guess it makes sense that Kobo sells well in Canada. There is always a nationalistic fiber in people that plays a part. I guess Sony sells better in Japan and Apple sells better in the United States, see my point?
Yes and no. Despite RIM being Canadian, I have really no interest in swapping my Windows Phone for a Blackberry, or my Surface for a Playbook. It's still got to be a good product and/or service.

And Kobo's marketing doesn't wrap the flag around the product, so I'm not even sure how many purchasers here even know the company is based in Toronto (and, of those, how many also know it's now owned by Rakuten).

Quote:
Now the Glo is one of the best readers out there so that alone is good reason for good sales. At this point I wonder how well the Glo will do in the US.
I think the Glo is significant in that the hype is all about front-lit readers, and the Kobo Glo is the only one being offered to Canadian retailers (at least by a major player). The Kindle Paperwhite is absent from the Canadian market (as has every other new Kindle, at launch, from Canada for years now). Nooks aren't on the market here. Sony doesn't have a front-lit e-reader. Etc.

Though undeniably, Kobo's early success can be largely attributed to the market strength of Chapters/Indigo.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote