Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego
My 5 cents.
To the best of my knowledge, the BOOX M92 device from ArtaTech (i.e. www.onyx-boox.com
a.k.a. "Onyx Europe") contains exactly the same hardware as the "plain vanilla" one (delivered by another European distributors, which have already been mentioned in this thread).
However, from ArtaTech, you will just get the device (with a stylus) and a USB cable. No power supply, no cover (note: you can buy a cover from ArtaTech, but it costs about 30 or 40 Euro).
The warranty time is 1 year.
The worst thing, however, is that you will have BIG problems as soon as you try to "update" the firmware of this device -> their firmware is really "outdated" and they do not allow you to install the well maintained Booxtor's one.
The worst thing, however, is that you will have BIG problems as soon as you try to "update" the firmware of this device -> their firmware is really "outdated" and they do not allow you to install the well maintained Booxtor's one
claims that they supply additional "unique" features:
1. the "IVONA EMBEDDED" Text-to-Speech engine -> what they do not say is that the only available language is Polish (just a single woman's voice called "Agnieszka" -> I've read somewhere that you may possibly buy additional voices and languages from the original company www.ivona.com
but every single additional voice will cost you about 35 Euro),
2. a "Cloud Service" -> suports "GoogleDrive" and "Storino" services only,
3. a "RSS Reader",
4. a "Bookstore" -> see booxsource.com
for available books (site available in Polish only, books in Polish only?).
Note: the size of the BOOX M92 is very similar to the size of the Apple iPad 2, so many covers designed for the latter device fit the first one.
An additional advice: remember to buy the "black" version, not the "white" one (the reading comfort depends on the colour of the box).
Your "opinion" is really not worth those "5 cents".
But you called this an "opinion", so let me tell you what truth is.
Cover at onyx-boox.com costs from EUR 19 to EUR 39 (this one is from genuine leather). The covers are the high quality ones - very high quality ones.
Onyx International warranty is 1 year (12 months) (wherever you buy a device from). However onyx-boox.com or ArtaTech as an EU company is obliged by law to give additional 12 months (which makes total 24 months) guarantee that the device works correctly if not misused or damaged by user.
1. Ivona sold with any device on onyx-boox.com is English Amy + one more licence that corresponds with the country of order or from preference of user (German, French, Spanish, Italian or Polish). That is already included in the price. You can also buy additional voice licences on onyx-boox.com or ArtaTech for 6,5 EUR (six euro and a half). /what is your 35 EUR information? A desktop Ivona aplication for PC ?/
2. Supporting 2 cloud services (also the one of Google Drive) is for you "only"? Then please note that soon the users of our devices will have one more cloud service available - Dropbox. We are now finishing the integration.
How many cloud services does the "well maintained Booxtor's" firmware support? None.
3. No comments
4. If you say that it is in Polish only then I know you must use Polish menu. If the device language would be set up to English you would claim that it is English version only I suppose. Version depends from device settings. English and Polish are now available, German, Spanish and Italian are in translation. In Q1 2013 more content in various languages will be available (today there is not a big choice in English, that I shall admit)
For iPad and M92 cover. Probably the size is quite similar, but our covers are designed for Boox M92. A question to you - does iPad cover have a standard port for stylus? If so, that means you were right, everybody shall use iPad covers.
And I just leave the firmware issue - onyx-boox.com or ArtaTech firmware is not outdated - the above explains all - more features, better licences and last but not least - tested before offered to users (we do have our testers and our policy is to test before any firmware launch - we do not use forum members as laboratory test mice).
Those are the facts.
...and for your next post which is now deleted - think over first, then write