View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 116
Karma: 6899
Join Date: Nov 2012
Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
I am unable to "extract" one page from the original pdf file (that I was using when writing the first post here), so I tried to prepare a "small test case" and I noticed another problem with the "dictionary".

7. I open a pdf file created by LaTeX (a scientific article, for example), then I click "Aa" and then I try to "select" a word from the text ... it always "selects" many words at once (from one to several lines of text) ... try the attached "german_utf8_letter.pdf" file ... no matter where I "click", the whole text of the letter is "selected" (the same problem appears in the "old" and in the "new" Pdf Reader).

I think I was wrong when saying that the "original" pdf file uses utf-8 ... I just noticed that it was the "ascii / text pdf previewer" on my Linux which was displaying utf-8 ... now I looked at this file as a "binary" one and ... no idea what the encoding is (there are some readable ascii texts inside but the majority are just "binary data" for me).

Well, if you say that you expect some bugs to be repaired in 1.8 (with respect to 1.7), then I'm afraid that it really may be the case that the "mixed" firmware uses too much from the original ArtaTech 1.7 firmware (well, according to the description, the only "old" things should be the "synthesis IVONA, cloud, library, rss reader ...", the rest should come from the newest "Booxtor 1.8 20121113").
I cannot test the unmodified "Booxtor 1.8 20121113" firmware as my device will not let me perform the "update" (it simply ignores the "update" file).
(Note however, "mSSM" reports that he sees the issue 3) in his device, even though he uses the newest unmodified firmware.)

Just for the record, after I open a new pdf file and I "click" the "Aa" dictionary icon for the first time, it takes about 10 to 15 seconds before I see the new "small dictionary window". Successive "clicks" are performed really fast, however (just the very first one, after I open a new pdf file, is slow).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf german_utf8_letter.pdf (34.4 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 11-27-2012 at 09:03 AM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote