I did some more experimenting with image export and I'm considerably happier with the results. Readers might want to check the album here. Comments appreciated!
Originally Posted by Patricia
It's intriguing. I want to know what happens next.
(The kimono sleeves aren't entirely accurate, but I doubt whether that's very important.)
I know the kimono don't look quite right. I've actually made several in "real life," from traditional patterns. There are major problems with getting the 3-d software I use to handle the sleeves correctly.
Hopefully it doesn't get in the way of the story too much.
Originally Posted by IceHand
Hm, do you mind showing me one of the PNG files before you imported it to Manga Studio? I'd like to experiment with different conversion methods, maybe you'll like one of them.
As noted above, I did experiment with different aspects of the import/export process. It's not a problem with how the files get imported to Manga Studio (though there are some stubborn format problems that I still want to chase down). It's a problem with how Manga Studio exports the files. It wants to convert every page to a "screentone" version, even if I want to keep grayscale.
I ended up using a 25% view in Manga Studio and taking a screen shot, which seems really lame, but at least the results are viewable online.
Scott McCloud, one of my own favorite American comic artists, has some excellent advice about online display of art, and one of his recommendations is not to use crosshatching or screentone, which are designed to allow display of different shades of gray in printing. At 72dpi they look pretty bad, whereas just using a shade of gray can look fine. So that's what I'll be aiming for in the online version from now on, I think (and I rather doubt there will ever be a print version).