Thread: Silliness Quiz
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #10241
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Yes, the common connection is that all the artists performed the associated songs at the 1967 Monterey Pop Music Festival. Couple of interesting factoids about this event. The song San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair) was written by John Phillips (one of the festival organizers) of the Mamas & the Papas to promote this festival. The recording of this song by Scott McKenzie (who also appeared at Monterey Pop) became a big hit. Some other groups that appeared there include: Lou Rawls, Johnny Rivers, Al Kooper, The Butterfield Blues Band, The Electric Flag, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Steve Miller Band, Moby Grape, The Byrds, Booker T. & the M.G.'s, and The Blues Project.. For many of the artists it was their first big exposure to Americans.

Tying up the remaining lose ends . . . The song Windy was a big hit for the group The Association. Question 5 is a bit of the lyrics from the song Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine by Country Joe and the Fish. Most people today would only know them, if at all, for their Vietnam War protest song I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die.

So I will admit that this was a quiz with a definite preference for the over 50 crowd. So splitting the 4 points for music connection between orlok and Bilbo1967 would still leave Shayne Parkinson as the winner.