Originally Posted by kyteflyer
Additionally, I'm sure someone else said you can sync non-DRM books on Kindle between desktop and app (booksmarks? dunno) but you do have to convert those books to Kindle format
Unfortunately no. There's no connection between the "personal documents" feature on iOS/Kindle hardware, and the Kindle for Mac desktop application. It's possible to manually sideload books into Kindle for Mac, but it's a separate process and they don't sync in any way with the devices.
You get three options:
1. sideload books into kindle or iOS device via USB:
- local to the device, doesn't sync with other devices.
2. sideload books into Kindle for Mac, by drag-and-drop:
- local to Kindle for Mac, doesn't sync with any devices.
3. send books to the Kindle e-mail address, or use the "Send to Kindle" app on the desktop:
- will load into "Personal Documents" section in the Amazon cloud, and sync between Kindle and iOS devices. Will *not* load or sync into Kindle for Mac (this is the missing link!)