View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I never said that WiFi didn't have its drawbacks, it has a ton of drawbacks, but that doesn't change just how much most people rely on their networks for every day things. I also never said that peoples' lives should revolve around being online, but more and more things DO revolve around being online. You don't need to be online to create art, or to write, or to repair hardware. Increasingly more often you do need it to distribute that art, to look up technical specs not already in your possession, or to communicate with publishers, distributors, and retailers.

Right now, as I post this to an online forum, my daughter is watching My Little Ponies on Netflix, My wife is Skyping with her sister, and I am also sending in photography proofs to one of my clients with Pandora playing in the background. That's not unusual anymore, that's the norm. If you were to walk into any one of my friends' homes I guarantee that every last one of them would have something going on over a network connection. If I turn on my WiFi finder on any given day there are thirty different open and free hotspots within two miles of my home. THIRTY! Crazy, I know. That's not even counting the protected personal networks. Just a few years ago there might have been three or four, but today it is thirty. I was just reading a story about how people in Nigeria and Camaroon will willingly forego a meal to make sure that they have enough money to pay for their mobile data connectivity. India is setting up new networks in rural areas to help the upcoming distribution of tablets for school children work out better than it might have before. I have a friend who lives in East Timur who works as a linesman helping to build better infrastructure and network connectivity. The world is wired whether you want to believe it or not. A typhoon or a horrible snow storm may knock out connectivity for a few days, but it does that same to power and I hear no one saying "Oh, your fancy electricity will never be as reliable as good old plentiful coal. What are you gonna do when them doodads producing that there e-lec-tricity go down?" Networks are repaired with almost as much priority as power, because they are nearly as important to logistics, distribution, and over all repair efforts. Network connectivity is spreading just like electricity has in the past, but with more determination and a hell of a lot quicker. Networks mean knowledge and knowledge is power.

Later tonight I will go out with my family to do some geocaching (an entirely different sort of connectivity). We will hike for an hour or so and get out and chat and get some exercise...and not once be far enough away from a network to lose signal on our phones, in spite of the fact that we will not be anywhere near a city center.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 11-24-2012 at 08:08 PM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote