View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #37
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS T3, Nexus 7, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The films omit a number of major episodes which are in the books, and also have composite characters. As with any book, a movie version can "fit in" a lot less than the book can.

The other major difference you'll see is the "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King" each have a number of different viewpoints, with story strands which overlap in time. This greatly increases the suspense compared with the "linearised" timeline of the films.

The books are just so much better in every way.
I agree with you entirely, Harry, but if my memory serves me rightly there are also many scenes put into the films which are not in the books at all. One example is the scene at the ford where Frodo is rescued by the elfin princess. In the book she has nothing to do with this part, does not appear till later, and is a less important character anyway.

I think the books are not only better, they are different.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote